40 Weeks/Birth Story

Well as most of you know by now I made it to 40 weeks...40 weeks and 2 days actually.  This picture was taken on Sunday, August 26th prior to taking a nice long walk with Rufus and Rollie in hopes to start labor...no such luck.  Monday rolled around and we went to the Dr.  I was about 2 cm and my midwife 'stripped my membranes' again and we called the hospital to schedule an induction on Thursday morning.  The plan was to check into the hospital at 8pm on Wednesday evening where they would apply cervidal to 'ripen my cervix' and then I would start pitocin on Thursday morning.  Well...luckily non of this had to happen!  After the Dr. on Monday my friend Meghan came over for lunch (we made salad and enchiladas) after lunch I just didn't feel well.  My back really started to hurt and I had no energy.  That night we just relaxed and watched tv on the couch.  I had a few random contractions but nothing strong enough or regular enough to track.  I didn't even want to eat but Rollie made me and I had some kraft mac n cheese...gourmet!  We went to bed and at 2am I woke up to pee (probably for the 3rd time that night).  I peed and then laid back down but shortly after I felt a warm drizzle...I jumped out of bed and barley made it to the bathroom floor...when wooosh! My water broke.  I yelled to Rollie but of course being asleep he was at first very confused and in shock.  I told him to call the Dr. and that I was going to take a shower.  He called the Dr. and she told us to head to the hospital within the hour.  I got out of the shower and straightened my hair (yep...I did...I hadn't washed it in 3 days and I knew being in the hospital I wouldn't straighten in there).  My contractions started right away after my water broke so while I was doing my hair I was also trying to time my contractions on my iphone app.  We got to the hospital around 3am and while checking with the Emergency Room (since it was the middle of the night...even though we had pre registered) my contractions definitely started getting stronger.  They wheeled me up to labor and delivery, I put on my beautiful hospital gown (ha!) and the nurse checked how my progress.  I was 4cm.  After about an hour my contractions got much much stronger and painful...I really felt them in my back too.  I couldn't stop shaking and I got sick to my stomach (which actually made me feel better)  That's when I asked for the epidural.  The anesthesiologist came within what seemed like minutes and he got started.  It was painless and easy...and a lifesaver!  Once it kicked in I couldn't feel a thing.  I had to look at the monitor to know when my contractions were starting.  My midwife, Cecelia arrived, checked me and told me I was at 9cm and that we would probably be pushing soon!  What?!  I was shocked that I had progressed that quickly.  At 7am I started pushing.  Its crazy because your only reference to 'pushing' are tv shows and movies...you think you push really hard for a short amount of time but in reality you push for 3 counts of 10 and then wait for another contraction...I did this for 2 hours.  I was absolutely exhausted by the end but didn't give up knowing the end was near.  They turned downed my epidural a bit at the end so I could push with some feeling...there was still no pain just a little bit of pressure. Our little Lillian was born at 8:54am at 7 lbs 15 ounces and 19 inches long!  They cleaned her up and set her on my chest, and it was the most amazing feeling I've ever experienced.  The nurses at Santa Rosa Memorial were amazing...from labor and delivery to recovery.  After about an hour of her birth they had me get up and try to walk to the bathroom and pee...I was pretty scared to do so but it wasn't too bad.  They moved us over to our postpartum room to get some rest.  Our hospital (as most these days) are very big on letting the baby stay with you all day and night rather than spend time in the nursery.  Our little one was exhausted as were we but at the same time on an adrenaline high!  Over the next 48 hours we got to know our little girl and share the love with friends and family.

Trying to get some rest

Still smiling...not sure if this was before or after epidural

Good size girl! 

My favorite picture!

proud papa

So peaceful

My baby girl! 

First family pic


  1. What a great story, I am so happy for your family of mommy, daddy and baby!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What year is it?!

May (or better known as my Birthday Month)

Master bedroom